July 23, 2016 Board minutes
Important Notification: Kitchen Upgrade + Temporary Closure of Bert’s
The FCC will undertake a total refurbishment of its kitchen during August and September which will see all major fittings ripped out and replaced with modern equipment. This upgrade is long overdue as for many years Chef George and his team have done a heroic job maintaining our high quality food offering despite operating in an outdated work environment. As a result, from Monday 1 August until late September all cooking will take place in a very small temporary kitchen located behind the serving area in Bert’s Bar. During this period we will offer a simplified menu, which we hope will still satisfy members’ basic desire for sustenance, even if choice is greatly reduced.
Throughout the renovation period it will be necessary to close Bert’s which will be used as a temporary food preparation and storage area. During this time it is our intention to offer a number of live music events in the Main Dining Room, so do watch this space for details. From Saturday 23 July, the pool table section of Bert’s will close while the rest of the bar and restaurant area will run normally until Saturday 30 July and close thereafter. Rest assured Bert’s will be back in business in early October after the walls and flooring receive a well-deserved touch up. During the kitchen renovation the work room will operate as normal, with a passageway kept free to give access for members.
Please see an attached article from the July/ August edition of the Correspondent which gives
more details of the renovation. Also attached is a copy of the simplified menu which we plan to offer throughout August and September.
We would appreciate your patience during this time and look to welcoming you back to an enhanced FCC.
FCC House Committee
Invitation for Tender: Membership Coordination Services
Invitation for Tender
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong is looking for a suitable individual or company to carry out the following project:
Membership Coordination Services
Contract period: 1 November 2016 – 31 October 2017
Deadline for tender: Monday, 31 October 2016
To help with administration and analysis of the FCC’s membership.
The Club’s membership is drawn from a broad cross section of walks of life and includes many of Hong Kong’s best known and most interesting people. Members range from the reporters, photographers and radio and television teams who record and present the news to those who make it – starting with local government leaders and including many leading figures in the worlds of business and diplomacy.
The FCC is open to all, but there are five categories of membership. They are:
Correspondent: Bona fide members of the foreign media based in Hong Kong, the bulk of whose work is published outside Hong Kong.
Journalist: Bona fide journalists based in Hong Kong who make more than 50% of their income from their locally-based journalistic activities.
Associate: For those who are not employed in journalism or in the media yet who wish to take advantage of the FCC’s professional and social activities – this includes all professionals, authors and business people.
Corporate: These are transferable memberships with certain restrictions.
Diplomatic: Approved bona fide full-time members of the Hong Kong diplomatic corps.
ROLE OF THE CONTRACTOR
- The contractor reports directly to the Membership Committee, and will liaise logistic through the Club management. Hence, contractor’s services are peripheral to the Club’s operation and are not integrated into it;
- Hiring helpers to fulfill the job requirement is entirely up to the contractor’s decision at its own costs, however it is expected to include the plan in the tender;
- Payment will be released per hours contributed each month upon submission of invoice with timesheet;
- FCCHK holds all copyrights to all materials, and retains final approval for all content before release. FCCHK also reserves all rights to add, edit and remove any content before and after release.
EXPECTATION ON THE CONTRACTOR
- Experience in working with journalistic organizations and media;
- Provide its own tools and equipment to carry out the project.
The Contractor is required to:
- Attend each Membership Committee and any associated meetings organized by the Membership Committee;
- Prepare monthly report and present it at the Membership Committee;
- Revert requirement or comments of the Membership Committee on each membership application to the applicant in a timely manner, and then report to the Membership Committee;
- Plan, prepare and execute any marketing scheme decided upon by the Membership Committee;
- Respond to instructions and requests from the Membership Committee Convenors;
- Respond to instructions and requests from the Membership Committee as a whole;
- Research potential members to ascertain their suitability for the category of membership applied for
- Deal with potential members who do not meet the requirements of the category of membership applied for, before or after a Membership Committee Meeting
- Prepare reports on accelerated/diversity applicants for BOG meeting
- Respond to telephone and email enquiries from potential members who have queries, particularly about completing the application form
- Respond to telephone and email enquiries on which category a potential member should apply for (in particular the difference between Journalist and Correspondent memberships)
- Assist find relevant signatories for an application as and when deemed necessary
- Preparing copy for the Membership Column bi-monthly for the FCC magazine The Correspondent
- Acknowledge that FCC holds all copyrights to all materials, and retains final approval for all content before release. FCC also reserves all rights to add, edit and remove any content before and after release;
- Prepare a summary report of the project by 21 October 2017 to the Committee through the Club management. In the report it should include but not limited to all working files and access codes to any multimedia platforms. Release of the final payment is subject to a satisfactory submission.
Interested parties please submit your tender & a copy of your business registration before the deadline to:
2 Lower Albert Road
Please quote reference code “MMC2016” and indicate “Tender for Membership Coordination Services 2016/2017” on your tender submission.
Any questions should be directed to the undersigned or our Administration Ms Joanne Chung at (tel) 2844 2830 or (email) [email protected].
Tel: 2844 2844 / Email: [email protected]
Financial Statement for the year ended 31 Mar 2016
Income Statement – June 2016
June 18, 2016 Board minutes
Menu arrangement on August 2, 2016
Since the Observatory will consider issuing the Number 8 Gale or Storm Signal until tomorrow (August 2, 2016), we would like to inform you that our “breakfast menu” will be suspended tomorrow and our “abbreviated bar menu” and
“daily lunch – carving of the day” will still be available tomorrow. The serving time of our bar menu and carving of the day will remain unchanged, starting from 12:00nn.
Thank you for your kind attention and we welcome you to sit it and enjoy our facilities.
August 1, 2016