Invitation for Tender- Music Consultant (Tender closed)
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong (FCC) is looking for a suitable individual or company to carry out the following project:
Contract period: 1 October 2016 – 30 September 2017 (12 months)
Deadline for tender: Friday 12 August 2016 at 6pm
Bringing live jazz music by arranging weekly and monthly Jazz performances or other music events to the Club.
The late Bert Okuley was a distinguished jazz pianist foreign correspondent and former FCC President. He brought live Jazz music to the FCC and since his death a bistro in the Club has been named “Bert’s”.
To commemorate the late Bert Okuley, “Bert’s” features Hong Kong-based and international jazz artists three nights a week. Artists from around the globe grace Bert’s stage. Bert’s has now become Hong Kong’s only dedicated jazz-bar venue.
ROLE OF THE MUSIC CONSULTANT
- The Music Consultant will be engaged as an independent contractor for providing music consultancy services for the FCC and shall be fully responsible for planning music events, arranging performances, directly engaging performing musicians, staging, managing and coordinating musical events when they are happening.
- The Music Consultant may or may not be a performing musician, although it would be an advantage if they were.
- The Music Consultant will report directly to the FCC’s House Committee and will liaise logistically through the Club’s management. Each month, the Music Consultant will present to FCC’s House Committee a program for the coming month(s) with a detailed production budget for the performances being recommended for prior approval. The production budget will include the cost on the Music Consultant’s engagement of its own performing musicians, stage design, scheduling and promotional costs of the event.
- Subject to the monthly agreed performance schedule and the pre-approved budget, the Music Consultant shall have full liberty to engage and arrange its own performing musicians and be fully responsible for all acts and performances of its own performing musicians. The FCC reserves the right to withhold and/or refuse to make any payment in the event that the performing musicians fail to perform and/or show up to any performance and the Music Consultant shall be fully responsible for the FCC’s loss.
- The Music Consultant shall at all times be fully responsible for all acts and performances of its own performing musicians including but not limited to ensuring that all performing musicians have the right to perform in Hong Kong and are not in breach of any rules and regulations including any immigration rules and regulations; to acquiring and arranging all necessary insurance coverage for the performing musicians, ensuring full compliance with all rules and regulations including but not limited to the filing of any tax return, any tax payment, contributions of Mandatory Provident funds and compliance with any other rules and regulations under the laws of Hong Kong at the sole expense and costs of the Music Consultant.
- The FCC holds all copyrights on all materials that are recorded on its premises and retains final approval for all content before any future release. The FCC also reserves all rights to add, edit and remove any content before and after such release.
EXPECTATION ON THE MUSIC CONSULTANT
- The musical equipment provided by the Club is solely for convenience of the Music Consultant and/or the performing musicians’ performances’ usage at the Club. The Music Consultant holds full responsibility for maintaining the musical equipment in good condition whether under his/her usage or that of the performers arranged and engaged by the Music Consultant, beyond normal wear and tear.
- In the event that any equipment fails to function the Music Consultant should report in detail to the Club Manager not later than the next working day.
- If Bert’s is closed on a scheduled performance date for either a private function or a public holiday, two weeks’ notice shall be given to the Music Consultant, who will be expected to re-schedule performances to another day (within the following 60 days), subject to prior consultation with the Club Manager.
- Upon submission of monthly invoices of any personal performance fees from any personal performances from the Music Consultant, payment will be made within 15 days to the Music Consultant, subject to completion of an agreed monthly performance schedule.
The Music Consultant is required to:
- Maintain the musical equipment in good condition.
- Maintain the CD collection or other reproduction technology used for background music.
- Focus on the jazz club’s events, but also assist with other musical events held at the Club.
- Assist in promotion of the scheduled events.
- Provide an annual budget for new and/or replacement of musical equipment to avoid ad hoc purchase.
- For weekly performances the Music Consultant is expected to:
- Arrange bands and/or performers up to three nights per week
- Set up the sessions on each weeknight
- Submit the weekly performance schedule at least one month prior to the performing month
- Perform, if appropriate
- Submit a monthly Saturday performance schedule to the House Committee, to be accepted by them, at least two months in advance of anticipated performances. No Saturday performance is required in December and Chinese New Year month, however there should be not less than 10 Saturday performances within the contract term.
- Submit a report of the work undertaken during the contract period to the House Committee through the Club Manager no later than 15 September 2017. The report should include a list of all equipment under the usage of the Music Consultant.
- For New Year’s Eve entertainment the Musical Consultant will:
- Submit a New Year’s Eve proposal to the Club by the time of the House committee meeting in the 2nd week of October. 2016.
- Arrange for and engage band(s) & DJ(s) to perform..
- The band should be not less than a Trio and a singer who will perform not less than 6 hours between 2000 hrs and 0200hrs. There should be 6 sets of performances with each set lasting at least 45 minutes and 10 minutes break between each set.
- For both the weekly performances and the New Year’s Eve entertainment, the Music Consultant shall include any associated expenses, including payments or extra holiday payment to all its assistants, performers and musicians in the project sum.
Submission of Tender
- Interested parties are required to submit their tenders together with a CV and a recording of a recent jazz musical performance [not shorter than three minutes which may be submitted by email or on a CD] along with a copy of their business registration form.
- The tender should include the required monthly fee to be paid by the FCC to the Music Consultant.
- The tender should also include a projected monthly budget for hiring musicians and performers.
- Submissions should include a one-month performance plan (assume it is October 2016). The plan should showcase the kind of performers the applicant would bring to the FCC. Assume performances in Bert’s take place on each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and one Saturday night in the period. In this plan, anticipated payments to performers and musicians should be itemized.
Apply before the deadline to:
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong
2, Lower Albert Road
Central, Hong Kong
Please quote reference code “Music2016” and indicate “Tender for Music Consultant” on your tender submission.
Upon successful tender, the Music Consultant to be engaged by the FCC shall enter into a formal contract for services as an independent contractor for the music consultancy services to be rendered to the FCC.
Any questions should be directed to the undersigned General Manager or to Joanne Chung, at 2844 2830 or by email in care of firstname.lastname@example.org .
Tel: 2844 2844