|FCC Clare Hollingworth Fellowship – Applications Open
|The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong is accepting applications for the Clare Hollingworth Fellowship, named after the preeminent and path-breaking journalist.
|Ms. Hollingworth had a remarkable career as a foreign correspondent with the scoop of the century as a 27-year-old when she reported on Germany’s invasion of Poland in 1939. Ms. Hollingworth was also a treasured member of the FCC for more than 40 years who made significant contributions to the intellectual and professional life of the FCC.
|The Hollingworth Fellowship honours early career journalists and current journalism school students in Hong Kong. Journalists and journalism students from all fields of professional study are eligible. Applications close on October 9, 2023. The fellowship will run for one calendar year, November 1, 2023 – October 31, 2024.
|Overview of key features of the fellowship:
- Complimentary access to all FCC professional talks, official gatherings and conferences;
- Unlimited access to the FCC facilities including the gym and workroom;
- FCC monthly dues and the membership fee are waived for the fellowship period; and
- Networking opportunities with senior newsroom leaders
|For details on past fellows, please see below:
- Jennifer Creery and Tiffany Liang
- Mary Hui and Jessie Pang
- Hillary Leung and Amy Sood
- Teele Rebane, Simran Vaswani and Hayley Wong
|Fellows Requirements and Expectations
- Produce and contribute a piece in their field for the FCC (e.g. long-form article for the FCC magazine, The Correspondent ; photographic exhibition for the Bar, video piece for the website)
- Assist in the organization of virtual and in-person events for journalists
- Actively contribute to the intellectual and professional life of the FCC
Candidates must meet all of the following criteria to apply:
- At least two years’ journalism experience with a proven track record of developing stories in any sector or medium. Applications are welcome from candidates from foreign news organisations as well as local news organisations in Hong Kong
- Be 30 years of age or under at the time the fellowship begins
- Be a resident of Hong Kong at the time of application and a resident of Hong Kong for the duration of the Fellowship
|Application Process and Material
Applications must be submitted in English by October 9, 2023. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only chosen candidates will be notified by writing. All files must be submitted in either PDF or MS Word format to [email protected] with the subject line
Attn: First Name / Last Name of Applicant, Clare Hollingworth Fellowship Application. Applications should include:
- Two pieces of published work, or in the case of a journalism student, two essays of no more than 2000 words each
- A 500-word statement of intent for the piece that the Fellow will contribute to the FCC
- Please send via post two sealed written references from suitable referees, e.g. senior editor or journalism school dean again with the same subject line: Attn: First Name / Last Name of Applicant, Clare Hollingworth Fellowship Application. The reference letters should be sent to The Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Hong Kong, North Block, 2 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong. When submitting your application, please note in the covering email that the references have been sent via post. Reference letters should specify how long the referee has known the applicant and in what capacity, comments on the applicant’s potential to make an impact in the field of journalism, and any relevant prior experience.
- Recent resume of no more than 2 pages
- Provide a valid HKID card number.