Invitation for Tender: Book Editor/ Project Manager
Invitation for Tender:
Book Editor/ Project Manager
Contract period: Approximately 6 months
Deadline for tender: 31 March 2020
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club (FCC) is seeking a temporary Editor to act as Project Manager for a commemorative book chronicling the Club’s nearly 75-year history in Hong Kong, from the time the first batch of foreign correspondents relocated from China in 1949 to the present. This is a temporary position and can be done part time as long as the project is completed in the agreed time frame. The Editor must have the skills to see the project through from inception to completion.
The FCC envisions the book to primarily consist of photographs; some short written vignettes by former and current members around a common theme (such as “My Favourite FCC Memory”/ FCC conversations); and a review of past memorable events using all the back issues of The Correspondent Magazine as the key resource. Much of the work would consist of creatively deciding and outlining the theme and optimal length for the vignettes; identifying and commissioning others to write the vignettes; pouring through back issues of The Correspondent; and identifying the best photographs to illustrate the rich history of the Club. The Editor is responsible for securing all requisite photo approvals. The Editor is not required to do any of the writing, but would be responsible for assuring accuracy, standards and editorial consistency for all articles and captions. The Editor need not be a professional proofreader and can request funding for a proofreader near the completion date. The Editor is responsible for all editorial content, but not design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage the book project from start to finish
- To present the creative vision for the final project and a realistic timetable for completion
- To identify, locate and commission past and current FCC members to write short stories.
- To personally review back issues of The Correspondent Magazine to ensure that key Club events and highlights are reflected in the book
The Ideal Candidate
- Familiarity with the FCC, its history, and some of its past most memorable personalities
- Creative thinker able to conceptualise the final project and bring it to completion
- Good organisational skills, detail oriented and excellent time management abilities
- Good interpersonal skills to cajole contributors to write, and then chase them up on deadline
- Past experience as an editor or writer, or working on a book or similar sized project
- A good sense of humour, ability to troubleshoot with a smile, no drama
Reports To: The Communications Committee or its designated representative
Summary of Book Design
A portable contemporary in style look and feel sized book (EG: A5) of approximately 200 pages, largely pictorial. Out in print and on sale by 2023 with a preview book launch at the FCC on the cusp of its 75 YR anniversary EG: in the autumn of 2023.
Interested parties please submit your tender & a copy of your business registration before the deadline to:
2 Lower Albert Road
Any questions please contact our Administration Department Ms Joanne Chung at (tel) 2844 2830 or (email) [email protected]
FCC Communications Committee